Discipline & Student Leadership
|Head Of Department
|Mdm. Anisah Muna Mohamed
|Subject Head, Environmental Education & Partnership
|Mdm. Mindy Neo
|Subject Head (Pupil Well-being)
|Mdm. Lee Nyuk Phing
|Subject Head (Discipline & Student Leadership)
|Mdm. Noor Afizah
|Subject Head (NESS)
|Ms. Munirah Bee
|Senior Teacher (CCE)
|Senior Teacher (Educational support)
|Mrs. Shirin Ishar
|Senior Teacher (Educational support)
|Ms. Suneeta Kaur
|AED LBS (Allied Educator) (Learning Behaviour Support)
|Ms. Yasmine and Mdm. Rohaya
In line with the vision “Active Minds, Gracious Hearts”, one of West Grove’s strategic goals is to develop pupils to be morally upright and actively contribute to the community. Education is never complete if it does not develop a pupil’s character along with his mental faculties and physical ability. Character development is integral to education and is fundamental to the holistic development of our pupils. In West Grove, besides providing explicit teaching of our six school values through our comprehensive life skills lessons, schools values, leadership and social-emotional competencies are also integrated and infused through all aspects of education in an environment that is caring and open.
In West Grove, no pupils is left behind and we look into welfare of our pupils. Should any pupil have financial, social and/or emotional difficulty, the school will assess his needs and provide him with the necessary support so that he has an ease of mind to learn well in school.
- The department aims to promote a Whole School Approach in dealing with Discipline
- Develop Pupils Into Self-disciplined And Warm-hearted Individuals, Through the Instilling Of Values
- Every child to be responsible for his own actions and thoughts.
- Every West Grovian A Gracious Citizen
Lead by example, Serve with pride.
OVERVIEW OF DISCIPLINE PROCESSES
- School Rules and Regulations
- Guidelines for school-wide Standard Procedure
- Standard Procedures for addressing Disciplinary problems
RULES AND REGULATIONS
The school firmly believes that discipline is crucial to nurturing gracious, life-long learners and morally upright citizens.
Morally Upright Citizen
In line with the vision,’Active Minds, Gracious Heats’, the school’s strategic thrust 4 on Character Development aims to develop all our students to be morally upright citizens.
- The school crafted a set of 6 values in 2003, comprising of ‘Responsibility, Respect, Resilience, Integrity, Commitment and Kindness’.
- These 6 school values will be imparted to all pupils through explicitly through values education and implicitly through CCA and other school programmes.
Social Emotional Learning
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the acquisition of skills needed to recognise and manage emotions, develop care and concern for others, make responsible decisions, establish positive relationships, and handle situations effectively.
- Social and emotional skills will be imparted to the students through explicit and implicit infusion of the 5 SE competencies.
|Responsible Decision Making
|Life Skills Education
|Student Leadership Development Programme
|Community Involvement Programme
|Others e.g. Cyber Wellness
SCHOOL SYSTEM THAT SUPPORTS THE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
- Using the IDEAS framework, staff derived a school-wide pedagogy (SWP), which consists of ‘Building Relationships, Providing a conducive environment, Seeking meaningful and relevant experiences and catering to differentiated needs’.
- There is a structured whole-school approach and conscious effort to align school activities planned with the SWP.
- Training framework to develop the competencies of teachers in the area of SEL and school-wide pedagogy to develop good character and social skills through daily lessons.
Community Partnership system
- The community Partnership Committee works closely with the WGPA, the community (cluster schools and charitable organisations) as well as other stakeholders (MOE HQ and Alumni).
- It has the dual purpose of providing opportunities to mould the character of our pupils and to form strong links with parents and the community.
- The committee employs a structured whole school approach to its CIP programmes in school.
Pupil Well Being support system
- The PWB department looks into the following areas to develop the social and emotional well being of our pupils through the following systems:
- Pupil’s Needs Analysis
- Disciplinary System
- Award / Reward System
Review and Assessment
Surveys, Projects, Students Reflection, AAR
1. STUDENT LEADERSHIP
West Grove Primary School believes in providing and creating leadership opportunities for every pupil and in nurturing the leadership potential of every student leader. Backed by one of our school’s strategic thrust to develop visionary leadership, the Student Leadership Development Framework adopts a servant leadership approach and focuses on leadership through service. It is also an integral part of character development in the pupil.
In West Grove, we strongly believe that no child is left behind. All students are trained and equipped with leadership skills. Each and every West Grovians is also involved in activities which greatly aid in their Character Development.
The Student Leadership Council consists of the Prefectorial Board and Ambassadorial Board.A list of the different exciting trainings and programmes for the Student Leadership Council are:-
Student Leadership Development
- Basic Leadership Training for all West Grovians
- Intermediate Leadership training for Prefects and Ambassadors
- Advanced Leadership Training for Prefect EXCO
- Student Suggestion Scheme by Prefect
- Sharing stories with Values by Prefects
- Prefect’s Investiture
- Ambassador Induction Ceremony
- Junior Prefects training by Senior Prefects
- Prefects Values in Action (VIA)
- Ambassadors’ involvement in school-based activities
Character development for All
- Values Education
- Infusion of school values and social and emotional competencies into formal and informal curriculum
- FTGP lessons
- Best Behaved Award
- Awareness campaign
- Kindness programmes
- Character Development card
West Grove Primary School believes in providing and creating leadership opportunities for our pupils and in nurturing the leadership potential of every student leader.
Leadership training for perfects
This programme helps the students to develop their leadership skills to become more effective leaders in their role as prefects.
The programme will help the monitors to deal with their leadership duties more effectively and they will be more equipped with essential leadership skills such as conflict management, team work, communication and leading others.
The workshop’s objectives are to help the students to be more confident leaders and be more able to handle their leadership duties with greater ease and assertiveness.
2. Values Educations
The 6 school values are reinforced during the Values education lessons conducted by form teachers during assembly periods. This program is to prepare pupils to be more effective individuals and to equip students with the necessary life skills to prepare them for the challenges in life.
- P1- Respect
- P2- Responsibility
- P3- Kindness
- P4- Integrity
- P5- Commitment
- P6- Resilience
3. Best Behaved Pupil of the Month:
Every month, 1 pupil will be selected from each class by their Form teachers to be awarded the Best Behaved Pupil. The student will be presented with a certificate on stage. This recognises the good behaviour displayed by the student. This also motivates the other students to work towards the award.
4. Awareness Campaign
Many beautifully decorated posters were prepared and pasted around the school compound. This is to increase students’ awareness of their expected attire and personal grooming standard.